|My Arduino Mega (in Blue) Mounted Next to the Power Supply|
Well, because the Arduino Mega already has some mounting holes in it, I could just use screws. But, to prevent pressing the backside of the Arduino against the electrically-conductive sheet metal, I need some standoffs. Since most standoffs are threaded on both ends, the plan is to drill some small holes in the Polysix's sheet metal, mount the standoffs via screws through those holes, and then to use more screws to attach the Arduino to the standoffs. Even for me -- the mechanically dis-inclined -- this seems feasible.
|That Empty Spot is Where I'll Put the Arduino. One Standoff is Already Mounted.|
|Threaded Aluminum Standoffs For Mounting the Arduino to the Inside of the Polysix.|
|Spring-Loaded Punch for Making it Easier to Drill into Metal|
Once I decided where I wanted a hole (by holding the Arduino up to the metal panel and using a thin pencil stuck through the Arduino's mounting holes to mark the spot on the sheet metal), I grabbed hold of the Polysix's panel, pressed in the punch, and waited for it to "pop!". When it finally popped, it really startled my wife in the next room. It's not particularly loud, but it is a bit sharp sounding and totally unlike any other sound that I usually make when futzing with my instruments. It's good to keep things interesting around here.
|Pressing in the Spring-Loaded Punch.|
I'd like to now show a picture of the tiny dimple that was made by the punch, but it's really too small for me to take a good picture. So, you'll just have to imagine a very very small dimple in the surface of the sheet metal. I couldn't really believe that it was big enough to help the drill bit seat, but it was. It worked marvelously.
With the dimple to get me started, I used a small drill bit to get my initial hole through the sheel metal. Since I have old bits that aren't very good, it took me a while to get through. Once I was through, I stepped up to a bigger bit to enlarge the hole so that my #4 screws would pass through.
To then mount the standoff, you use one screw (and washer) from the outside of the back of the synth, you pass it through the hole that you just made, and you screw into the female threads in the standoff. After tightening, the standoff is nicely attached to the synth. In the picture above, you can see that two standoffs are already in place.
Once all the standoffs are in place (I used three), you can place the Arduino over the standoffs and use more screws to attach the Arduino to the standoffs. If you're really lucky, you located your standoffs correctly and they line up with the holes in the Arduino. I was mostly lucky...two holes lined up well and one was a smidgen off. It was close enough, though, that I could angle the screw a bit and get it to seat sorta good enough. As usual for me, it's ugly but it works.
Below is another picture of the Arduino fully-mounted inside my Polysix. Not bad!
|The Arduino is Fully-Mounted Inside my Korg Polysix|
Thanks for reading!